Wednesday, April 21, 2010

[Movie Review] Paa. Hindi. 2009.



[Movie Review] Paa (2009). Amitabh Bachchan, Abhishek Bachchan, Vidya Balan. What a complete waste of 2:25 hours. Agreed the theme was unique (well not quite, I thought the whole plot was inspired in part by "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button").

Don't get me wrong. I wanted this movie to pull me into the characters, and on the stage. That is why I kept watching it all the way to the end, tirelessly, with the hope that something will challenge my psyche and intelligence, and blow the monotones apart in a split second. Trust me, it didn't happen.


Besides occasional witty moments by Amitabh, and the quick melodies by Ilairaja, nothing kept my attention. It was not clear whether R. Balki wanted to make an off-beat art movie out of it, or a main-stream theme saga of a modernistic politician and his past which was still alive in the form of a child suffering from Progeria. The movie kept juggling its vitals between these two issues and never got anywhere.

In all fairness, I do appreciate the effort that Balki and A. B. Corp Ltd. made to let the
common folks know about Progeria and the difficulties the families that witness it have to go through.


In summary, commendable acting by Amitabh, although the screenplay didn't do justice at times to the mental age he was playing.

My score: 2.5/5.0.

No comments:

Post a Comment